Department of Appied Sciences (Biotechnology)
Biotechnology Is a program to equip trainees on the use of biology to solve problems and make useful product. Biotechnology improves medical treatments, contributes towards conserving resources, can help in crops, and improves human health.
Skills obtained from studying Biotechnology
- Tissue Culture, which involves the growth of cells.
- Polymerase Chain Reaction, a technique used to make many copies of a specific DNA region.
- Gel electrophoresis, which is a widely used technique in molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics etc.
- Western Blot, which is used to prove different properties of proteins.
- Molecular Gene Cloning, which is a molecular biology technique that is used to assemble molecules.
Career prospects after studying biotechnology can be found in the following fields
- Drug and pharmaceutical research.
- Public funded laboratories.
- Environmental control.
- Food processing.
- Bioprocessing industries.
- Certificate, mean grade D+
- Diploma, mean grade C-